Is the NASB 2020 Any Good?

 

Is the NASB 2020 edition any good?

The NASB edition is a word for word translation of the Greek and Hebrew text based on Rudolf Kittel's Biblia Hebraica Dead Sea Scrolls for the Old Testament and Nestle-Aland Novum Testamentum Graece for the New Testament.


I have read a few of the critical text versions including:

 

  • CSB Christian standard
  •  ESV English standard
  •  NIV '84 New international
  • NRSV New Revised standard

 Out of all of these other version that are based on the Critical text found in the mid 1800's, I have found that they drop partial verses, complete verses and in the case of the NIV '84 it actually states after Mark 16:8 basically the rest of the chapter is was not found in the older text. 

This will be discussed in a future post. 

Now after only a month of reading the NASB 2020 for a short time, I have read through all of Genesis, Exodus, Job, almost trough with the Psalms, Isaiah, Jeremiah, Lamentations, and I am almost through with Ezekiel. For the New Testament, I have read through the book of John, Acts, Romans, 1 Corinthians, and almost finished with 2 Corinthians, I would have to say that the NASB 2020 bible is a really good translation, maybe even better than any of the versions I have already read. From what I have found from some research is that the NAMBS 2020 is considered junior high reading, so I guess that makes the KJV college reading.

 

Celebrity Preachers that use the NASB

  •  Dr. Charles Stanley “Over the course of more than 50 years of study, I have used nearly every available version and translation of the Bible.  While there are features from other editions that I enjoy, there is no more accurate translation than the NASB.  That is why I have used it as my primary teaching tool in the pulpit for more than 20 years.  It’s my Bible of choice, and I highly recommend it for all pastors and seminary Bible students.”
  •  Dr. R. Albert Mohler, Jr. President, Southern Baptist Theological Seminary
  •   Kay Arthur Co-Founder, Precept Ministries International stated “The NASB is ‘my’ Bible, the finest and clearest of translations for inductive study.  You can be sure this is the translation I recommend above all other.”
  • Dr. R.C. Sproul, did not state that he uses this translation as his main text, he did say this about it. “The NASB is an excellent translation that seeks the closest possible verbal equivalency.”

Of course there are a few other televangelist and radio preachers that use the NASB such as John MacArthur, and Paul Washer.


 

 

Comparison of the NASB ’95 & 2020

 

If you're unsure about what translation of the NASB is best for you, here are a couple quick comparisons between the ’95, 2020 and I am throwing in the NKJV as well.

Our comparison verse is going to be Matthew 4:19

 

And He said to them, "Follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." - Matt 4:19 (NASB ‘95)

And he said to them, “Follow Me, and I will make you fishers of people.” - Matt 4:19 (NASB 2020)

Then He said to them, "Follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." - Matt 4:19 (NKJV)


As you can easily see the difference between the two and that is because of the gender accuracy of the 2020.

Is the NASB a top seller?

As I mentioned earlier I have read a few of the majority text and which version they were. Up until I received the NASB 2020 as a birthday gift from my daughter this year, the NIV ’84 was my favorite (my real favorite is the KJV,) but out of curiosity I did some research and found that the NASB wasn’t in the top 10 best selling bible translations of 2021. It was number 7 is 2011, according to “Church answers dot com.” 

LEarn more about the New American Standard Bible 2020 edition by reading my review 

Popular posts from this blog

The NASB 2020 Giant Print

Best recipes for the slow cooker